Monday, May 12, 2008

Experimenting

This weeks food Storage purchases
Homemade sprouted wheat bread.
Sprouted wheat dough


This week it's been all about organizing and food storage. Since I really need to do one before I can do the other. I took inventory and I'm trying to put all my food storage supply on a spreadsheet so I know what I have and what I still need. I was able to can the bags that I had previously bought so those are no longer on the floor in my living room. Now it's just the cans! I think I am done with the #10 cans. Now I will be concentrating on 5 gallon buckets. I heard about a place locally that are reasonably priced that I will purchase for my grains. Oh, and FYI if you contact your local grocery store and talk to the bakery people they may have buckets that they will give/sell you. I picked some up at our local Bel Air for free. Apparently they aren't allowed to sell them. They have been used for fruit fillings, frosting's, things like that. Obviously they are food safe. I like them because they are smaller, 2 gallon and 3 1/2 gallon. So they are perfect for things you don't need a lot of. I did a Costco run today because hubby is in charge of breakfast for the Father/Son camp out this Friday =). So I checked out their supply of flour, sugar, rice. There is no minimum on flour or sugar but there is a 3 bag limit on rice. I was surprised at how many people were buying their 3 bag limit. Interesting.



My experimenting came when I decided to make bread. This is not new to me. I enjoy making bread/rolls. I've been making wheat bread though for only a couple years. I would always just buy wheat flour. The idea of grinding my own flour was a little too much effort for me. However, my church had a bread making night that I went to where the lady made homemade bread using wheat from her food storage. It was so good! So I actually starting using my wheat from our food storage supply. It was a big success. The whole family loved it. Anyway, trying to get new ideas and trying to eat healthier, I wanted to try to make sprouted wheat bread. Sprouted bread has a much higher nutritional content than unsprouted bread and is easier to digest. So the above picture is my attempt. This recipe is off the Internet. If you want the recipe, I can post it. I have to say it was very, very good. Only draw back was that some of the wheat berries got a little hard in the baking process. All in all I'd call it a success and I will make it again.

Experiment #2 was the second picture known as Essene bread. Did you know you could make bread dough out of just wheat? for this bread all you do is take the sprouted wheat and put it in a food processor and mix until it turns into a dough. I had no idea! Then you shaped and cook at a low temp for a long time. I've read different times and temps.I guess you have to experiment with this too. This bread was just ok. I might try again to see if I can make it better. I guess if you are ever really desperate, it will work. However, it is supposed to be extremely healthy for you.

No comments: